Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Pet Peeves "vs" Obesity "vs" Schools

I remember when I was growing up back in the 80's and 90's (yeah I know it was a long time ago) We looked forward to Physical Education class at school.  In today's society, children are so spoiled that exercise is thrown right out the window.  Each morning when I walk my 3 dogs, it is usually around the time when the school bus is picking up the neighborhood kids to take them to school.  Society has changed so much that kids do not even have to leave their front door to be picked up by the school bus anymore.


One of my pet peeves is seeing an obese kid who is perfectly able, that gets picked up at their door. Better yet another one is seeing and obese or overweight kids having to walk about 10-15 yards to get to bus, but they refuse to hustle, run, jog or walk any faster even though traffic is obeying the laws and waiting for all the kids to safely get on the bus.  It reminds me of when I was a kid and we had to walk 4 blocks just to be picked up by the school bus.


We enjoyed this time, walking to school with our friends and having fun before we got educated at school.  It was our morning playtime.  Sometimes we would even leave earlier so that we can get to school and play with everyone at school who didn't live in our neighborhood.  Those were the days when school cared about what happened to the kids attending.  We had nutritious lunches with healthy snacks.  If we as Americans don't get back to this, then we will live in an environment of obesity.




No comments:

Post a Comment